Hedonism and Digital Karma

>> Thursday, May 17, 2007

I've been listening to Skunk Anansie's "Hedonism" for a long time now but I haven't really brought myself to googling the meaning of the word. With karma asking for my dues last night, I finally came across Hedonism in a thick Ethics book.




Epicurus was the Greek dude who came up with this concept of Hedonism--the pursuit of pleasure or happiness (spelled with an "i"). Like other philosophies, this Thought also became hotly contested by the ancient and even modern nerds. Meanwhile, some pervs today cling to the idea and put fun twists in it like Sadism or Masochism and Suicide. Hey, whatever gives you pleasure, right? But knowing all these gave the song a whole new meaning and I find the lyrics brilliant even in its simplicity because of Skin's affecting interpretation of the concept and haunting rendition of the song. (The one below is the acoustic version).



Get this widget Share Track details
Anyway, back in college, I passed my Ethics class without attending it. My Ethics professor was Van's family friend and he agreed to give me a free ride. Now, after two years, I'm learning Ethics again. This time, it's for real. Van always says that nowadays, Karma is digital. Mine must be on a 386 computer cause it took two years before it caught up with me. Looks like I'll be earning the 85 grade the professor gave me after all.

I only have a week to read all five hundred pages of boring college textbook and write a comprehensive book review. Whoever reviews textbooks? Well I guess Qatari colejialas do. A certain Maryam called me up and asked if I can write a book report for her. I charged her QR200. Alright, I admit, I prostituted myself. I need the money, OK?

I should get back to my reading. So far it's interesting. And Karma, if you're listening, "I hope you're feeling happy now."
OUT

7 responses:

Anonymous 17 May, 2007  

ey... Hedonism? aiek kinda blurred for me... But I've read 'bout sadism?! ..in Psychiatric Nursing Book which I forgot the Author...whekhekhek
I still have the book... will this can help? FAR OUT aiek!!!

Anonymous 17 May, 2007  

ey... Hedonism? aiek kinda blurred for me... But I've read 'bout sadism?! ..in Psychiatric Nursing Book which I forgot the Author...whekhekhek
I still have the book... will this can help? FAR OUT aiek!!!

Anonymous 17 May, 2007  

Karma with Cash...not bad at all.=)

Anonymous 17 May, 2007  

oh by the way it's me...gae =)

Jap 17 May, 2007  

LoL Gae! Havent noticed that glaring truth until you pointed it out! Hahaha but it's small cash, good for 40 minutes talk time on my mobile. I enjoy reading the Ethics book though, which kinda sucks now cause I can't believe I missed it deliberately in college...would've enjoyed the discussions and debates.

maui pacquiao 18 May, 2007  

like ko rin skunk anansie. may tape (as in tape pa ha) ako nyan noon. ewan ko kung saan na ngayon. at kung makita ko man, wala na ako cassette player.

thanks for sharing the song.

love it. and for that, love you too. hahaha!

Jap 18 May, 2007  

maui, you should buy Skin's CD then, kahit wala na ang Skunk Anansie carry pa rin ni Skin ang magic ng group. And we should support her para lalo cya mainspire gumawa ng music. If you loved this vid, you will definitely love Skunk Anansie's Secretly. Please watch it, for me it's their best song ang video. You can find it on Youtube.

since you love me, love na rin kita hahaha

Abre Los Ojos

My photo
Thirtysomething educator who holds the secret to the meaning of life. =P

  © Blogger template Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP